Garlic / Butter naan
(Flat Indian bread)
Happy Sunday ..
I am not a professional food blogger..
I just love to share a few yummy everyday recipes occasionally..
Lot of thoughts and gyaans made me sound like a philosopher..🙆
So I decided to let it be for some time and delve into the culinary world..🍴
So here’s for some yum Sunday Foods..
The long pending post of how to make Garlic /Butter naan..
I am not sure of the terminologies so maybe its called flat Indian bread abroad..
It isn’t a biguuhhh deal as most of my Indian friends here would be familiar with the making of it..
Many Indian households especially in the North make it at home but for us Southies it’s like a luxury, normally had when we trod into the North Indian/Punjabi restaurants..
OK so without much ado let’s go about it..Oh and by the way I did not make it..😝
As promised it was made by my sister in law RUCHI( I can see her evil grin 😈)
Ruchi is an expert..(tee heee heee now il get the make up kit she bribed me with😛)
So the Ingredients required are as follows..
1. Maida (all purpose flour)
-3 cups (makes about 10 naans approx)
2. Sugar- 1.5 teaspoons
3. Salt- Half a teaspoon
4. Warm water – 1 cup ( to dissolve the yeast)
5.Yeast- 2 teaspoons
6.Garlic pods -10 pods( or as much as you like )
7. Coriander leaves -1/2 cup finely chopped
9. Water at room temperature (Required to make the dough)
1.Firstly sieve the Maida into a mixing bowl..
2.Heat a cup of warm water and dissolve the sugar, yeast, salt and mix well..
3.Add this mixture into the bowl of maida and knead it well adding extra water as required to make a soft dough..
4. Allow it to rest for a minimum of 1 hour, in an air tight container so that the dough can rise..
5. Knead the dough again and divide it into medium sized balls..
6.Using a rolling pin, roll them out into round shapes..( we made oval and round ones )
7. Roll out the naan and sprinkle one side of it with chopped garlic mixed with coriander..
Gently press it with the rolling pin..
8.Flip the naan and dab the other side with water..
(This is to ensure it sticks to the pan and doesn’t fall off)
9.Heat an Iron pan..(usually a tandoor is used is restaurants)
Any pan can be used other than a non stick pan..
10. Place the side coated with water directly on to the hot pan and let it bake on medium heat..
11.Once the colour of the dough changes, immediately take the pan and place it directly on the flame upside down to cook the other end..
12. The pan should be moved constantly over the flame so as to prevent it from burning..
13. Now with a flat ladle take it out and garnish it with a chunk of butter and serve hot hot..😋
14.Plain butter naan can also be made the same way by just skipping the addition of garlic part..
15.Serve hot with Cholle Masala( Chickpeas ) /Paneer dishes( cottage cheese ) or any Mutton/Chicken curries and gravies..
This is my plate which was served with Cholle Masala accompanied by chopped onions, Lemon wedges and a green chilli..yummm
So thanks to RUCHI I learnt how to make garlic naan/butter naan..🍛
Do let me know of your experiences with naan..
Until next time eat away..😋😋